How I Wash My Makeup Brushes

January 11, 2017

Every beauty lover's least favorite activity...

It is such a necessary task but oh my god is it tedious and boring. Honestly the only reason I ever bring myself to wash my brushes is because I remember how unhygienic it is to have dirty brushes. Plus the feeling of having clean brushes is great, it just takes so long to clean them all.
Now I've tried many a different technique to clean my brushes. I've used brush sprays and oils and that weird hard brush cleaner but I find that the very best way to get my brushes super clean without damaging them is by using shampoo. I bought the Dove Oxygen Moisture Shampoo which stated that it gently cleans fine hair. Since makeup brushes have pretty fine bristles, I thought finding a shampoo that was gentle would be the best way to go. I didn't want anything to harsh because I think that would damage the bristles and take away the brush's softness. While the process of how I clean my brushes is fairly simple, I thought I lay it out for anyone who's curious. This first thing is I gather all my brushes as well as a bowl of water and a towel. If I haven't washed my brushes in a particularly long time, I'll forgo the bowl and go straight to the sink. I wet my brush and then I apply a dollop of the shampoo to my hand. I then swirl the brush around in the shampoo, trying to work all the makeup out. After I'm done swirling in the shampoo, then I rinse the brush to see how much makeup I have left. For face brushes, especially those used for foundation or concealer, you may need to repeat this process a few times. Once I've deemed the brush clean, I make sure to all the soap and water out and gently squeeze the bristles. I carefully reshape the bristles so when they dry, they aren't misshapen because this can damage the brush. I then lay the brush on the towel and let it dry. I usually let them dry overnight with a fan on them. If you decide to do this during the day or under limited time, make sure to flip the brushes so to have optimal drying. Easy enough right?! I find this method the best to get my brushes absolutely clean, plus it's pretty cheap because the shampoo lasts a while. If you watch Netflix or something while you clean, it'll help the process feel less arduous.

How do you clean your brushes?


Follow




You Might Also Like

0 comments