Queen's Handbook- Over Night Trips

January 26, 2015

Hello Loves, 
Packing for an over night trip can be tricky. I tend to be a massive over packer, I basically pack my whole closet for two days away. Over the years, I've slowly created a routine to help myself not over pack. Well, not as much, I still over pack. I just can't help it! 
First I ask myself:
  • Where am I going?
  • What is the weather supposed to be like there?
  • How long am I going to be there? For an over night trip this will be 
  • Why am I going there? (Business, vacation, family reunion, etc.)
Once I've answered these questions I make a list of everything I have to take like underwear, bras, socks, toothbrush and paste, etc. 
My usual necessity list for an over night trip looks something like this:
  • Underwear (3) One for each day plus a spare
  • Bras (2)
  • Socks (3)
  • Toothbrush + Paste
  • Contacts + Container
  • Contact Cleaner (travel size)
  • Eye Drops (travel size)
  • Glasses
  • Spare contacts (2 sets) 
  • Deodorant (travel size)
  • Razor
  • Soap
  • Acne Medication
  • Cleanser
  • Makeup Remover
  • Pads and/or tampons (you never know..)

Then, I start making the list of makeup I want to take:


  • Foundation
  • Concealer
  • Eyeliner pencil
  • Eyeshadow pallet
  • Mascara
  • Lipstick/Lipgloss (2) one neutral and one color
  • Lip balm 
I try to condense as much as I can and only take what I now I will wear but still have options. That's why pallets are great. They give you multiple option is one. 
For hair, Since it's one night, I'll wash my hair the day I leave ( or the night before) and then I won't wash it again until I get home. I know for some that sounds gross but I normally don't wash my hair every day. It's not good for it and I don't have the time. This means I don't have to pack shampoo or conditioner. Instead I'll take some dry shampoo. Then I plan on what hair I want to do and whether or not I need any hair tools. If I do, then I have to choose, curler or straightener. DO NOT PACK BOTH. It's just two days. I will also pack hair ties and bobby pins. 

Next I plan my outfit for traveling. This is important because you want to wear something that you can wear for the rest of the day once you get to your destination. This way, less is going into your bag. 

After that I pick my shoes. I pick shoes before clothes because you can only take one or two pairs. Shoes take up a lot of room, so the less the better. I usually choose to pack one pair and wear the other. The ideal option of course would be to just have one pair. 

After I've picked my shoes, the. I pick clothes that will go with the shoes. I don't  usually take spare clothes because if something happens, well you have an excuse to go shopping. Yay!!
Lastly I pick my bags. For an over night trip, I'll usually take two, whatever purse I'm using at the moment and either a duffel or a small suitcase. 

Once I have everything else packed, I pack the last few bits and bobs:


  • Laptop
  • Chargers
  • Extra set of ear buds ( I break them much to often)
  • Any jewelry I think I can't live without 

My final tip is if everyone doesn't fit in your bag, don't find a bigger bag, it means you're taking more then necessary. 
I hope some of you find this helpful!!
If there's anything you want advice on, feel free to leave me a comment down below or send me an email at itsdanyqueen@gmail.com
Kisses
~Dany



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm a big overpacker too, I often take 3 pairs of shoes for just an overnight stay, and end up staying in the ones i've travelled in! I need to start following this advice more often.
    Great post,
    Love Jessica x
    Jembubble

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I've done the exact same thing so many times and finally I decided enough was enough. Then I created this system and my packing got a little better but it's needless to say I still overpack. Thanks for the comment love!
    ~kisses

    ReplyDelete